Thank you for your interest in joining the Shiloh Volunteer Fire Department. This is a decision that should not be taken lightly and should be discussed with your family Being a volunteer firefighter requires much of your time for training and responding to calls, but there is nothing more rewarding than helping those who are in need. Becoming a member will require a serious commitment, determination, and dedication, as this is a very important service that we provide in a professional manner.
We are always taking applications for volunteer firefighters and we are very dependent on those members to ensure that we can meet our mission of protecting the community. On this page you will find our membership requirements, benefits, and application. If you have any questions, please contact 256-623-1094.
Minimum requirements for Shiloh Volunteer Fire Department
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Alabama Drivers License
- Valid vehicle insurance on personally owned vehicle
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Live with in 20 minutes of the fire hall (preferred in town or surrounding town’s limits)
- Successful completion of Department provided Entry Level Firefighter, or either Alabama Fire College Firefighter 1 or Firemanship 1 and 2 within 2 years.
Volunteer hiring process
- Complete and submit application
- Interview with Fire Chie
- Subject to a complete background and drivers history check
- Pass medical exam
- Entry Level Firefighter (120 Hours taught inhouse) Equivalent
- Firemanship 1 and 2 (140 hours taught in house and along with other departments)
- Firefighter 1 (160 hours Alabama Fire College instructor lead at local training facilities)
- If these goals have already been met, then our department strives for an additional 192 hours of continued education training per year is conducted in house per year. However, to meet the required training requirements 96 hours per year is the minimum requirement for continued education. These training are conducted every Thursday night at 1800 hours (6pm) and some Saturdays mostly at Shiloh Volunteer Fire Department, or other deemed locations.
- Other more advance classes are available, and we encourage our members to take advantage of these educational opportunities and to achieve more than the minimum requirements.
- Attendance to Trainings: Firefighters and explorers must attend at least 50% of Thursday night trainings (2 trainings per month) unless excused prior by the Chief, Operations Section Leader, Logistics Section Leader, Planning/Finance Leader, or the Training Section Leader
- Attendance to Calls: Firefighters must make at least 25% of the departments call volume based over the total number of calls in a 3 month/quarterly period.
What we provide
- PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)
With the certifications, training, and experience that you can gain as a volunteer fire fighter it is possible to turn all of that into a full-time carrier with a career fire department. Just remember if you do so you are always welcomed to stay with us, don’t forget where you came from.
To apply please download the documents to your computer first. Open the document from your downloads and fill out completely. Save it. Once documentation is complete please email them back to shilohfiredepartment@townofshiloh or send to Shiloh Fire Department Attention Shiloh Fire Application P.0. Box 924 Rainsville, AL 35986. If you have any questions please email shilohfiredepartment@townofshiloh or firstname.lastname@example.org , you can also call 256-623-1094.